Friday, July 15, 2011

How did GM manage to get such little power out of their motors?

Ok so I like GM products a lot. I think they are pretty good looking a feel pretty solidly built. One thing that has always bothered me is how they got so LITTLE power out of such big motors. Take the 3400 series V6 that comes in many Pontiac sedans. It has 180HP. FROM 3.4 LITERS!!!! Or how the classic 5.7L V8 that was in many camaros manages to barely break 200 HP. I mean I know technology has advanced but not THAT much. AND they were still making a lot of these motors into 2005 when WAY smaller motors produced more HP and torque. A Honda 4 banger of the same period could pump out over 200 HP. A 2003 Acura 3.2L V6 produced 240HP in the TL type S. They couldn't get more than 180 out of a 3.4? If you have 3.4 or 5.7 liters of motor it almost seems impossible not to get more power out of them. So I guess my question is, what design flaw or oversight existed to allow these monster motors to produce such tiny amounts of power?

No comments:

Post a Comment